Fifty-six years ago today, (oops!…did I reveal a secret?) the world got a little more exciting thanks to the arrival of Steven Michael Young. Steve has been my father, my friend, and a partner-in-crime, so I’d like to take a moment to honor him today, on his birthday, with a list of reasons why he’s so great!
- He always gives a hug when you first walk in the door for a visit.
- He let me talk him into getting a dog that he said he didn’t want and then ended up with two of them.
- He sometimes (grudgingly) eats at Jamie’s Soda Fountain so we can hang out when I visit Kokomo, even though he doesn’t like the food.
- He loves Thai food as much as I do.
- He tells a great story about a pet Chicken his brother and cousins tricked him into throwing down the hole of an outhouse to prove that it was better than their pets.
- He writes the nicest notes inside of birthday cards and sometimes even makes them himself.
- He stays the night in Indianapolis with me when Marc is away so I won’t be scared.
- He pretends that Barkley isn’t as poorly behaved as I say he is.
- He enjoys singing along to Wasted on the Way, just like me.
- He gave me the sweetest advice before giving me away to Marc at our wedding…can’t tell you, it’s a secret!
This is obviously just the tip of the iceberg, but I wanted to share a few tidbits of why Stevie is so important to my life. Happy Birthday, Steve — And here’s to many more!