Thirty short years ago today, the Good Lord blessed this Earth with a unique and charming individual that I am happy to call my husband. Yes, folks, today is Marc’s thirtieth birthday…the Big 3-0! Time for much merriment and partying! As it turns out, Marc was a little stressed about this monumental birthday. When we woke up yesterday, he looked at me and said, “You know, this is my last day in my twenties.” To which I replied, “Yes, honey. But just think—tomorrow you will be so much wiser and smarter!” I don’t think he took much comfort in my assessment of the situation.
As our friend Troy points out, the fear of getting older is fueled by our society’s general obsession with youth. And truthfully, I wonder if we would view aging differently if we lived in a place that revered older folks a bit more. But I digress… This post is about Marc, our celebration of a milestone birthday, and kicking off another great decade that will hopefully be just as fruitful and magnificent as the last three. I think that Marc was born under a lucky star—he first made his appearance on Six Seven Seventy Seven at Seven pounds even at 11:11am. It just sounds good. He was a super cute little guy, and I don’t think that much has changed in thirty years!
As most anyone who knows him will tell you, he’s a one-of-a-kind guy in all of the best ways, and I’m truly blessed to share my every day with him. So in honor of my dear husband’s birthday, I compiled a list of thirty reasons why I admire Marc.
- He always helps me open things without complaint, even though it’s probably a little annoying.
- He actually likes to exercise and sticks to a workout routine–while I sleep in.
- He always sees the best in others.
- He is an eternal optimist.
- He never gets upset when I buy clothes, even when I’ve said that I’m not going to buy anymore.
- He’s a kid at heart.
- He has a great smile.
- He always joins me in singing songs from Les Miserables at the top of his lungs.
- He can always tell you about great new music or bands that you’d never hear of otherwise.
- He can play the piano without sheet music.
- He knows EVERYONE!
- He can do a great Stone Phillips impersonation.
- He takes great care of his family.
- He keeps me laughing.
- He always makes me feel loved.
- He doesn’t mind when I burp loudly.
- He always says my cooking tastes good even when I’m doubtful.
- He gave me the best nickname ever, without which there would be no Meandering Mango.
- He usually takes over the nasty house jobs, like cleaning up when the pets get sick.
- He dreams big dreams.
- He’s a good cuddler.
- He has a wonderful sense of humor.
- He’s very modest.
- He worked full time while going to grad school and still managed a 4.0!
- He never hesitates to lend someone a hand.
- He tells people that being married is like a big slumber party, which I think is cute.
- He doesn’t compromise his values or beliefs just to please other people.
- He always tells me I’m pretty, even when I’ve just woken up and my hair looks like a rat’s nest.
- He’s good about keeping things in perspective.
- He is the most wonderful, loving, caring husband that a girl could ever ask for!
Happy Birthday, honey! I Love You!